- One of the reasons why after a vulnerability has been discussed an easy to use exploit is a good thing is the tendency of higher-ups to disregard security risks which are only exploitable by a select few. WEP is not what its name suggests, but it is still the only line of defense in many wireless networks because the risk of being attacked still appears to be low.
- WiFi Cracko is the application developed in purpose to find password to access protected WPA/WEP, WPA2 & WPA3 network security types. Internet users who are not so highly educated about digital networking or computing in general usually have problems of recovering back their WiFi (WLAN) password in case they've forgot it.
Wireless networks are accessible to anyone within the router’s transmission radius. This makes them vulnerable to attacks. Hotspots are available in public places such as airports, restaurants, parks, etc.
In this tutorial, we will introduce you to common techniques used to exploit weaknesses in wireless network security implementations. We will also look at some of the countermeasures you can put in place to protect against such attacks.
This tutorial walks you though a very simple case to crack a WEP key. It is intended to build your basic skills and get you familiar with the concepts. It assumes you have a working wireless card with drivers already patched for injection. The basic concept behind this tutorial is using aireplay-ng replay an ARP packet to generate new unique IVs.
Topics covered in this tutorial
What is a wireless network?
A wireless network is a network that uses radio waves to link computers and other devices together. The implementation is done at the Layer 1 (physical layer) of the OSI model.
How to access a wireless network?
You will need a wireless network enabled device such as a laptop, tablet, smartphones, etc. You will also need to be within the transmission radius of a wireless network access point. Most devices (if the wireless network option is turned on) will provide you with a list of available networks. If the network is not password protected, then you just have to click on connect. If it is password protected, then you will need the password to gain access.
Wireless Network Authentication
Since the network is easily accessible to everyone with a wireless network enabled device, most networks are password protected. Let’s look at some of the most commonly used authentication techniques.
WEP is the acronym for Wired Equivalent Privacy. It was developed for IEEE 802.11 WLAN standards. Its goal was to provide the privacy equivalent to that provided by wired networks. WEP works by encrypting the data been transmitted over the network to keep it safe from eavesdropping.
Open System Authentication (OSA) – this methods grants access to station authentication requested based on the configured access policy.
Shared Key Authentication (SKA) – This method sends to an encrypted challenge to the station requesting access. The station encrypts the challenge with its key then responds. If the encrypted challenge matches the AP value, then access is granted.
WEP has significant design flaws and vulnerabilities.
- The integrity of the packets is checked using Cyclic Redundancy Check (CRC32). CRC32 integrity check can be compromised by capturing at least two packets. The bits in the encrypted stream and the checksum can be modified by the attacker so that the packet is accepted by the authentication system. This leads to unauthorized access to the network.
- WEP uses the RC4 encryption algorithm to create stream ciphers. The stream cipher input is made up of an initial value (IV) and a secret key. The length of the initial value (IV) is 24 bits long while the secret key can either be 40 bits or 104 bits long. The total length of both the initial value and secret can either be 64 bits or 128 bits long.The lower possible value of the secret key makes it easy to crack it.
- Weak Initial values combinations do not encrypt sufficiently. This makes them vulnerable to attacks.
- WEP is based on passwords; this makes it vulnerable to dictionary attacks.
- Keys management is poorly implemented. Changing keys especially on large networks is challenging. WEP does not provide a centralized key management system.
- The Initial values can be reused
Because of these security flaws, WEP has been deprecated in favor of WPA
WPA is the acronym for Wi-Fi Protected Access. It is a security protocol developed by the Wi-Fi Alliance in response to the weaknesses found in WEP. It is used to encrypt data on 802.11 WLANs. It uses higher Initial Values 48 bits instead of the 24 bits that WEP uses. It uses temporal keys to encrypt packets.
- The collision avoidance implementation can be broken
- It is vulnerable to denial of service attacks
- Pre-shares keys use passphrases. Weak passphrases are vulnerable to dictionary attacks.
How to Crack Wireless Networks
Cracking is the process of exploiting security weaknesses in wireless networks and gaining unauthorized access. WEP cracking refers to exploits on networks that use WEP to implement security controls. There are basically two types of cracks namely;
- Passive cracking– this type of cracking has no effect on the network traffic until the WEP security has been cracked. It is difficult to detect.
- Active cracking– this type of attack has an increased load effect on the network traffic. It is easy to detect compared to passive cracking. It is more effective compared to passive cracking.
WEP Cracking Tools
- Aircrack– network sniffer and WEP cracker. Can be downloaded from http://www.aircrack-ng.org/
- WEPCrack– this is an open source program for breaking 802.11 WEP secret keys. It is an implementation of the FMS attack. http://wepcrack.sourceforge.net/
- Kismet- this can include detector wireless networks both visible and hidden, sniffer packets and detect intrusions. https://www.kismetwireless.net/
- WebDecrypt– this tool uses active dictionary attacks to crack the WEP keys. It has its own key generator and implements packet filters. http://wepdecrypt.sourceforge.net/
WPA uses a 256 pre-shared key or passphrase for authentications. Short passphrases are vulnerable to dictionary attacks and other attacks that can be used to crack passwords. The following tools can be used to crack WPA keys.
- CowPatty– this tool is used to crack pre-shared keys (PSK) using brute force attack. http://wirelessdefence.org/Contents/coWPAttyMain.htm
- Cain & Abel– this tool can be used to decode capture files from other sniffing programs such as Wireshark. The capture files may contain WEP or WPA-PSK encoded frames. https://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Decrypting-Decoding/Cain-and-Abel.shtml
General Attack types
- Sniffing– this involves intercepting packets as they are transmitted over a network. The captured data can then be decoded using tools such as Cain & Abel.
- Man in the Middle (MITM) Attack– this involves eavesdropping on a network and capturing sensitive information.
- Denial of Service Attack– the main intent of this attack is to deny legitimate users network resources. FataJack can be used to perform this type of attack. More on this in article
Cracking Wireless network WEP/WPA keys
It is possible to crack the WEP/WPA keys used to gain access to a wireless network. Doing so requires software and hardware resources, and patience. The success of such attacks can also depend on how active and inactive the users of the target network are.
We will provide you with basic information that can help you get started. Backtrack is a Linux-based security operating system. It is developed on top of Ubuntu. Backtrack comes with a number of security tools. Backtrack can be used to gather information, assess vulnerabilities and perform exploits among other things.
Some of the popular tools that backtrack has includes;
Cracking wireless network keys requires patience and resources mentioned above. At a minimum, you will need the following tools
A wireless network adapter with the capability to inject packets (Hardware)
- Kali Operating System. You can download it from here https://www.kali.org/downloads/
- Be within the target network’s radius. If the users of the target network are actively using and connecting to it, then your chances of cracking it will be significantly improved.
- Sufficient knowledge of Linux based operating systems and working knowledge of Aircrack and its various scripts.
- Patience, cracking the keys may take a bit of sometime depending on a number of factors some of which may be beyond your control. Factors beyond your control include users of the target network using it actively as you sniff data packets.
How to Secure wireless networks
In minimizing wireless network attacks; an organization can adopt the following policies
- Changing default passwords that come with the hardware
- Enabling the authentication mechanism
- Access to the network can be restricted by allowing only registered MAC addresses.
- Use of strong WEP and WPA-PSK keys, a combination of symbols, number and characters reduce the chance of the keys been cracking using dictionary and brute force attacks.
- Firewall Software can also help reduce unauthorized access.
Hacking Activity: Crack Wireless Password
In this practical scenario, we are going touse Cain and Abel to decode the stored wireless network passwords in Windows. We will also provide useful information that can be used to crack the WEP and WPA keys of wireless networks.
Decoding Wireless network passwords stored in Windows
- Download Cain & Abel from the link provided above.
- Open Cain and Abel
- Ensure that the Decoders tab is selected then click on Wireless Passwords from the navigation menu on the left-hand side
- Click on the button with a plus sign
- Assuming you have connected to a secured wireless network before, you will get results similar to the ones shown below
- The decoder will show you the encryption type, SSID and the password that was used.
- Wireless network transmission waves can be seen by outsiders, this possesses many security risks.
- WEP is the acronym for Wired Equivalent Privacy. It has security flaws which make it easier to break compared to other security implementations.
- WPA is the acronym for Wi-Fi Protected Access. It has security compared to WEP
- Intrusion Detection Systems can help detect unauthorized access
- A good security policy can help protect a network.
Are you looking for a Windows Application that will let you hack Wi-Fi using your Laptop, whether you are at home or you are traveling, are you tired of those free Wi-Fi hacking and password revealer software that claim they can hack any Wi-Fi password only to find out they are dummy only after downloading them?
Then this post we are beneficial to you, this is because we have reviewed some of the best Wi-Fi password hacking software that is compatible with your Windows XP/Vista/7/8/8.1 and Windows10 PC.
It’s one of the frontrunners of Wi-Fi hacking software scene & was originally developed as some special project that would work with locked wireless networks. It can help you with a number of functions like getting users list, cracking the Wi-Fi password, see each user’s movement as well as block off the unwanted users from Wi-Fi network.
It deals with various aspects concerning Wi-Fi security. It can monitor data export to the text files, replay attacks, deals with deauthentication through packet injections etc. then, it will check the Wi-Fi cards & driver capabilities as well as crack the WEP & WPA PSK.
Kismet Wireless is a popular wirefree network detector, intrusion detection & sniffer system. It mostly deals with IEEE 802.11 Wi-Fi networks yet can also tackle other networks. Its great range of features include server/client modular architecture, PCAP logging, multi capture-source support, remote sniffing as well as XML output that will help easy integration with the other tools.
inSSIDer is your ally when it comes to troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues. This Wi-Fi optimization & troubleshooting program will help you with a number of things- weak channel placement, poor signal strength, RF interference problems in 2.4 & 5 Giga Hertz bands. It comes in 2 versions- inSSIDer 4 & inSSIDer Office.
This is another major wi fi hacker software program that has been highly rated by the users. This wireless LAN program can crack the encryption keys efficiently on the 802.11b WEP Wi-Fi networks. The software operates through passive monitoring of the transmissions, computing encryption key while adequate packets are gathered.
Wireshark is quite a big name here and comes with multiple amazing features. These include deep inspection on numerous protocols, handy 3-pane packet browser, live capture & offline analysis, multi platform running capacity, enriched VoIP analysis, reading/writing of various capture file versions etc. In other words it offers you a deep insight on the network.
This list would be incomplete without the mention of WepAttack. Just as the name suggests, it’s a powerful tool that will help you to launch a sizeable attack on the WEP keys of the WLAN networks. The users are really happy with the software and many of them have tagged it as one of the best for cracking passwords.
Wi-Fi Hacking Software for Various Platforms
You should know here that there are different email address management software applications for various platforms. The one you would be going for must complement your system’s specific OS. Not all such software applications would work for all operating systems and you have some software programs that specifically work for Windows or Android or Mac.
Free Windows Wifi Hacking Software – OmniPeek
If you are looking for a good free Windows Wifi hacking software, OmniPeek is a great choice. It’s an award winning network analyzer & packet sniffer application that captures & analyzes the wireless traffic. The tool is equipped to work with several networking interface cards. You will also get help on network troubleshooting.
Free Android Wifi Hacking Software – Black Wi-Fi Hacker
When it comes to reliable Free Android wifi hacking software, Black Wi-Fi Hacker Plus is a good option no doubt. The software is designed to crack Wi-Fi networks locally, assuring a seamless access for you to the network. The program supports multi encryption types such as WPA, WPA2, WEP or CCMP/AES encryption.
Free Mac Wifi Hacking Software – KisMAC
Those in search of free Mac Wifi hacking software, KisMAC would be a nice choice. It’s an open-source Wi-Fi scanner/stumbler application, which, unlike other regular Wi-Fi hacker software applications, uses passive scanning & monitor mode. The program reveals closed or cloaked or hidden SSIDs, shows the logged in users, helps with PCAP import & export etc.
Most Popular Wifi Hacking Software for 2016 – Wi-Fi Hacker
You are getting a very simple, user-friendly yet powerful Wi-Fi hacking software here. It would quickly search out the local available Wi-Fi network & connect you to it so that you can bypass the locked Wi-Fi route in moments. It is virus free & gets updated just automatically, making things simpler for you.
When it comes to most popular Wifi hacking software for 2016, you can opt for Wi-Fi Hacker .The user-friendly software program is well equipped to hack both WPA & WPA2 as well as WEP and promises you good support against the WPS attack. Its virus-free nature is one of the main reasons for its popularity today.
What is Wi-Fi Hacking Software?
A Wi-Fi hacking software is a software program that will primarily enable you to crack Wi-Fi password of a nearby network. These software programs are designed to work for WPA, WPA2 and WEP. Some of them are open-source applications and work as good network analyzer as well as packet sniffer.
The best ones are guarded against the WPS attack. A good lot of Wi-Fi hacker software applications are meant to help with Wi-Fi troubleshooting issues. In simple words, these software programs are your key to Wi-Fi internet freedom where you won’t need to ask for the permission of the network administrator to access the desired router.
How to Install Wi-Fi Hacking Software?
To install Wi-Fi hacking software, you have to go to the chosen software’s link to download it. However, before you download, just make sure that the software program actually complements your specific operating system. When you download it, you will get the installation link that will come up with a complete guide on installing the application.
What Is Wpa Wep
Benefits of Wi-Fi Hacking Software
Many a times, we find ourselves in places where we desperately need the Wi-Fi for an urgent communication or quick internet search but we cannot access the local router given no knowledge of the password. In such situations, the Wi-Fi hacking software is just a bliss.
Such software applications would immediately crack the Wi-Fi password for you, in most of the cases of any strength, so that you can freely access the internet. The software program would also be helpful for network auditors and penetration testers who have to verify security of the WPA guarded wireless networks, break document encryption and crack the password hashes.
Wifi Security Wep Or Wpa
The Wi-Fi hacker software applications would be helpful when you are looking to check what’s going on with the Wi-Fi network of your organization and what the users are doing with the network. All such software applications are really easy to operate and your primary computing skills would be enough here.