The convenience and flexibility of WiFi networks make them a logical choice when providing Internet access for your home or business. There are a few issues that come along with the mobility that a WiFi network furnishes its users. They are:
An Internet connection made with an Ethernet cable is more reliable than a connection made through WiFi. If you use WiFi at all, you have probably experienced the frustration of suddenly losing connectivity. This happens much more frequently with WiFi networks than on a cabled network.
Perhaps the most troubling aspect of using WiFi networks it the security risks posed by a WiFi password hack. If an intruder was compromising your cabled network, there would be physical signs of the unauthorized access. If someone were trying to hack your WiFi password, there is a good chance you would never be aware that an attempt was made. An unscrupulous individual who understood how to hack WiFi passwords could be using your network to enact their own Internet access or gain entry into your network and electronic resources.
Protecting Yourself From a WiFi Hack
We believe that the best way to protect yourself against an intruder who wants to hack your WiFi is to know how to hack a WiFi password yourself. We are going to present a method to do just that by using your Mac computer and a freeware application called KisMAC.
We will be giving you a step-by-step overview of the steps required to use this method and will essentially show you how to hack into WiFi. We are not presenting this information with the intention of allowing others to hack into your Wifi. If that was their intention, there are plenty of other sites that will teach them what they want to know. Our aim is to show that it is feasible that your network could be under attack at this moment without any indication that someone is trying to hack your access password.
This new WiFi hacking method could potentially allow attackers to recover the Pre-shared Key (PSK) login passwords, allowing them to hack into your Wi-Fi network and eavesdrop on the Internet communications. As for him being able to hack your network because he knows your mac address. Well, as long as you are not being stupid and using MAC based security. Some routers allow you to have no password on your Wifi and 'secure' it by only allowing certain mac addresses. MAC addresses can easily be spoofed, so this is not secure.
It’s better to be armed with this knowledge than to pretend there are no potential dangers inherent in having a wireless network. So let’s take a look at how to hack into WiFi using some simple tools.
How to Hack WiFi Passwords
There are three popular security protocols that can be used to secure your wireless network. They are WEP, WPA, and WPA2. Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is the weakest of the protocols. WiFi Protected Access (WPA) is stronger, followed by WPA2. All of these methods of securing a wireless network can be subverted using the tools we will describe below.
We again want to emphasize that this information is to inform individuals or network administrators regarding the potential that the security of their wireless network can be compromised. Please don’t take our explanation of how to hack WiFi networks as an invitation to attack nearby targets. To do so is a violation of privacy and can lead to criminal charges.
To break into a secured wireless network you need to know the password. If you don’t have the password, you need to use a method known as a “brute force” attack in order to obtain access to the network. This type of attack is very time-consuming and it is not guaranteed to work.
It preys on the fact that many wireless routers and networks are protected by very weak passwords. In some cases, there is no password or the user simply relies on the default, which can easily be found by knowing the model of the router in question.
Steps to Hack WiFi Passwords
In addition to the aforementioned KisMAC application, you will also use a collection of Linux tools known as Aircrack-ng. You also need a password file that contains the actual password of the network you are attacking. Files containing thousands or millions of the most commonly used passwords are available for download on the Internet.
Hacking a WEP Network
KisMAC is a wireless stumbler and cracker that can perform a number of WiFi related tasks directly from your Mac’s operating system. WEP keys are compromised by a process known as WEP injection where data packets are used to determine the password. Once you have accumulated the necessary amount of data packets, with a minimum being around 200,000 packets, follow this procedure inside of KisMAC:
- Click on Network.
- Select Crack.
- Choose Weak Scheduling Attack.
- Select Against 40-bit.
This should be sufficient to crack the less secure networks protected with WEP security.
Hacking a WPA/WPA2 Network
It’s not as easy to hack into a WPA wireless network. In order to crack WPA security, you need to obtain a handshake, which occurs when a computer connects to a wireless router. You also make use of a password file which contains a list of passwords in ASCII format. You then use KisMAC to test the handshake against the password file.
- Start KisMAC and choose the network you are attempting to crack.
- Click Network -> Deauthenticate to force connected devices to reconnect to the network.
- You will soon see devices connecting to the network, meaning you have captured a handshake. The information you need will be stored in the KisMAC dump file.
- Now you use Aircrack-ng to run a dictionary attack. This is done with this command: aircrack-ng -w <path to word lists> -e <SSID of the network to be attacked> <path to dumps>.
- Now you wait. If the password is contained in the list, you will eventually gain access to the network though it can take a considerable amount of time. On the other hand, if your word list did not contain the password, you will not be able to access the network.
Brute force attacks take a lot of time and as you can see, rely on the ability of a hacker to reproduce your password. A longer password will make your network substantially more secure. Using a machine that can generate 2 billion distinct keys per second, an 8 character password can be cracked in about 2.6 days, according to password-depot.de. Contrast this with the 7.5 million years required to crack a 12 character password and you can see the sense in using longer passwords.
With this knowledge in hand, the best way to protect your WiFi from hackers is to use a strong password of at least 9 and preferably 12 characters. It’s not as hard as you might think to come up a phrase that is memorable to you and obscure for others to determine. Strong passwords are your best defense against having your wireless network, or any of your electronic devices or information, compromised by unauthorized users. Get on it!
If you are reading this article on a computer or mobile device, you are most likely connected to the Internet. In the span of a few decades, the Internet has become a virtually indispensable tool in navigating through the modern world. We use it to shop at eCommerce websites, connect with others through social media, and for strictly entertainment purposes. A home with no Internet access is essentially cut off from the many benefits afforded by the connectivity it offers to users.
At one point, the only way to connect your computer to the Internet and achieve high-speed data transfer was with a wired connection to a broadband router. Now we have options, as WiFi offers another method to connect your devices to the Internet. According to parksassociates.com, over 70% of households in the United States that have broadband Internet service obtain that access through a WiFi connection.
There are certainly advantages to employing a WiFi network in your home or business. WiFi allows you to move freely without being concerned about cables or the number of ports on your router. The looming adoption of the Internet of Things and the promise of smart homes and appliances are predicated on the presence of a reliable WiFi network to allow communication between the devices.
In this hi-tech life, we always need a working internet connection to manage both our professional and personal life. The most comfortable way to access internet everywhere anytime is by buying mobile data recharges but they are very expensive. Another good way to connect to free WiFi if it’s luckily available at your workplace, college or home. But everyone is not that lucky.
Everybody might have many fast WiFi hotspots available in their smartphone’s range, but they don’t have access to those WiFi connections because they are password protected and you don’t have access to them so, you can’t use those WiFi hotspot to access internet in your smartphone or laptop. But, what if you can hack a WiFi?
Yes, I am not joking. What if you can hack any WiFi available in your range and crack it’s password to access free and unlimited internet? IMO, if you can learn a way to hack a WiFi network then you can access free internet everywhere. Right?
So, I am telling you the method to hack a secured WiFi network, crack its password and enjoy free internet using it.
Before moving directly to the methods to hack WiFi networks lets first see what type of security and authentication methods are implemented in WiFi networks.
WiFi Security & Encryption Methods
- Open – This is WiFi networks with no authentication. Anyone in the WiFi range can connect his device to the network without any password in enjoy free internet. However, these networks are rarely available and also risky.
- WEP – Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) is a security protocol, specified in the IEEE Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) standard, 802.11b, that is designed to provide a wireless local area network (WLAN) with a level of security and privacy comparable to what is usually expected of a wired LAN.
- WPA – WiFi Protected Access (WPA) is improved and more secured security protocol which arrived with lots of improvements in encryption and authentication methods of WEP.
- WPA2 PSK – It is short of Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 – Pre-Shared Key which is the latest and most powerful encryption method used in WiFi networks right now.
Hacking WiFi Networks with WEP, WPA and WPA2 PSK Security
As security features have been improved from WEP to WPA to WPA2 PSK WiFi authentication protocol, so obviously, WEP WiFi networks are very easy to hack compared to WPA and WPA2 PSK Security methods.
Almost every password-protected WiFi networks support both WPA/WPA2 PSK authentication. If somebody is already connected to the network, you can check in his network properties to see what encryption-type is being using by the targeted WiFi network.
But if you want to know encryption-type of WiFi network which is not connected to any device in your reach, you need Ubuntu operating system to do this.
In Ubuntu, you can use nmcli command in terminal which is command-line client for NetworkManager. It will show you security types of nearby Wi-Fi access points. Enter the following command in terminal:
It will show you the output like this:
Using the above methods, you should have known the encryption-type of targeted WiFi network which you want to hack. So, I am gonna show you how to hack WiFi Network for each of WEP, WPA and WPA2 PSK secured WiFi networks.
Requirements for Hacking WiFi Netwoks
My methods require KALI Linux which is especially designed Linux distrbution for penetration testing and ethical hacking. You can download it for free from its official site. Download Kali Linux ISO from its website either install it as separate operating system in your system or you can use Virtual Machine/VMware to directly run KALI Linux inside Windows.
You will also need Aircrack-ng which is a security suite to assess WiFi network security. It focuses on different area of WiFi security: monitoring, attacking, testing and cracking.
Another important requirement is to check if your wireless card is compatible with Aircrack-ng or not. Because if it’s not compatible, you need to have an Aircrack-ng compatible card. Check it directly here: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php or run aireplay-ng -9 mon0 command inside terminal to view the percentage of injection your card can do.
Install Aircrack-ng using the following command in KALI LINUX
- sudo apt-cache search aircrack-ng (to seach aircrack-ng or any related repositories)
- sudo apt-get install aircrack-ng (to install aircrack-ng repository)
Fulfill only these requirements and you are ready to hack any WiFi network, whether it is a WEP, WPA or WPA2 PSK Wi-Fi.
Steps to hack WiFi Networks
Starting below, I’ll be guiding you step-by-step in hacking a secured WiFi network. You can either scroll down to read each and every WiFi hacking method or can directly jump to the required section below using these links:
There are various methods to hack into WiFi network and crack its password for all the above security-types but I am showing only those methods with which I’ve had success in cracking password of desired WiFi network and hack secured WiFi Access points. So, if you follow these steps correctly, you’ll also be able to hack any WiFi hotspot available in your reach.
How To Hack WEP WiFi Network
In this method, we are going to hack WEP secured WiFi network using packet injection method inside KALI Linux operating system. So, start KALI Linux in your system. Now follow these below steps:
Step 1: Check Wireless Interface
- Open terminal in Kali Linux and enter the command airmon-ng. It will show you what network interface are you using. In my system, I have only one network interface card wlan0, which is my wireless interface card.
- Create a network interface which runs in monitor mode. To do this enter command airmon-ng start wlan0.Make sure to replace wlan0 in command with the interface name that your card have. Here, mon0 has been created.
- Now, you might or might not get the warning appearing in the below screenshot which tells other processes using the network which can create the problem. So, you can kill them using the syntax: kill PID if you know those processes are not important for you at the moment.
Step 2: Scan available WEP WiFi networks
- Now, enter the command airodump-ng mon0 to scan & list down all the available WiFi networks using created monitor interface (mon0). It can take time to all the available WiFi networks in range.
- Once the process is done,all the available WiFi access points will appear with their important details: BSSID (WiFi Access Point MAC Address), PWR (Signal strength value; the lower, the better), CH (Channel for WiFi), ENC (Encryption type), AUTH, ESSID (Name of WiFi)
- Select the WiFi network with WEP Encryption (ENC) and lowest PWR value.
Step 3: Attack the selected WEP WiFi Network
- Open another terminal concurrently and enter command: aidodump-ng -c 1 -w bell –bssid 64:0F:28:6B:A9:B1 mon0. Here, -c 1 indicates channel number which is 1, -w bell is to write data in file “bell”, –bssid 64:0F:28:6B:A9:B1 is MAC address for my selected WiFi access point and mon0 is monitor interface that was created above. Hit Enter and it will start sending packets (visible in #Data) to the WiFi
- The speed of sending data is very slow but you need to escalate it by attacking the WEP WiFi network. First enter the command airplay-ng -1 0 -a 64:0F:28:6B:A9:B1 mon0 to perform fake authentication (-1 in command) to the network.
- Now we will perform ARP REPLAY Attack to the WiFi network to climb the data to the network at enormous rate. Useairplay-ng -3 -b 64:0F:28:6B:A9:B1 mon0, where -3 is for ARP REPLAY attack. Hit enter and the command will start doing attack to WEP WiFi Access point and you can see the #Data value increasing at enormously fast rate.
- In below screenshot the bell-01.cap is the file where data is being stored that we will use to crack the password of this WEP WiFi network once we have enough data (recommended #Data value should be over 35,000).
- Once you have enough data in the file bell-01.cap, run the command aircrack-ng bell-01.cap. It will test all the data values available in key file and automatically show you the key it found by testing data in file.
- You can see in above screenshot that we have successfully cracked the password of targeted WEP WiFi network
- The key found will not be in those text or alphanumeric format that the WiFi owner has created. It will be in hex format but work just fine.
- Now, to use this key, firstly start the processes you have killed in Step 1 above using the command I have used below.
- Finally enter the cracked key 61:32:58:94:98 (without colon) as the password of targeted WEP WiFi Network and it will be connected.
Steps to Hack WPA/WPA2 Secured WiFi Network
Hacking into WPA/WPA2 WiFi Network is very tough, time & resource consuming. The technique used to crack WPA/WPA2 WiFi password is 4-way handshake for which there is a requirement to have at least one device connected to the network.
In WPA/WPA2 security method, the allowed password can have both large and small alphabets, numbers and symbols. And, allowed size of password is 64 characters. On a rough guess, if we consider password to be only 8 characters long and eliminate the use of symbols even then if you want to crack WPA or WPA2 WiFi password, using the brute force method the password combinations will be: 826+26+10=62 which is equals to:
So, even in fastest computer you can manage to use, it’s going to take hours.
Aircrack-ng have all the tools required to crack into WPA/WPA2 PSK WiFi network. It can perform 4-way handshake by disconnecting/connecting the connected device and capturing WPA handshake. It can perform brute-force attack but you can’t hope to crack the password if you have wordlist/dictionary for the password (which is already too big in size) with password inside it. I hate to tell you this but yes, doing it on your own can take forever.
However, there is a tricky way to crack WPA/WPA2 WiFi Password quickly which only requires you to be a bit lucky. The tool is fluxion. Fluxion use same 4-way handshake technique to crack secured WPA/WPA2 WiFi access points password but it doesn’t require you to have dictionary or perform brute force attack. So yes, it’s going to minimize your time to hack WPA or WPA2 WiFi networks password multiple folds.
Mac Os Wifi Password
Instead of doing this, it performs a little bit of phishing where the already connected user is asked to enter password of WiFi network again for security reason and when the user enter the password, first the handshake is checked with the earlier captured handshake of the device, if handshake is correct that means the password entered by user is correct. Once it is successful, Fluxion returns the key required to authenticate the network.
Steps to crack WPA/WPA2 WiFi Password using Fluxion
- Scan the networks.
- Capture a handshake (can’t be used without a valid handshake, it’s necessary to verify the password)
- Use WEB Interface *
- Launch a FakeAP instance to imitate the original access point
- Spawns a MDK3 process, which deauthenticates all users connected to the target network, so they can be lured to connect to the FakeAP and enter the WPA password.
- A fake DNS server is launched in order to capture all DNS requests and redirect them to the host running the script
- A captive portal is launched in order to serve a page, which prompts the user to enter their WPA password
- Each submitted password is verified by the handshake captured earlier
- The attack will automatically terminate, as soon as a correct password is submitted
Forgot Wifi Password Mac
I can understand that not all readers will be able to implement the method after reading such summarized version on hacking WPA/WPA2 PSK WiFi Network. So, below is the video tutorial on cracking WPA2 WiFi Access Point password using Fluxion.
How To Retrieve Wifi Password
Comments below if you face any problem in hacking WEP, WPA and WPA2 PSK WiFi Networks using the above methods.
Apple Wifi Password Change
Must Read –How To Hack a Website using SQL Injection