When it comes to Catholic wedding songs, you’ll have to look past the latest by Ed Sheeran or Miguel for your nuptials music. As you’re creating your Catholic wedding mass with your officiant, it’s important to remember that you’ll need music for multiple ceremony events (think wedding interlude, recessional music, etc.). Since you won’t be able to play recorded music or use non-religious songs, this guide will help you select other beautiful options.
Here are some general guidelines for Catholic wedding songs during your ceremony.
Which wedding music will I need?
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Lyrics of Love: 'The second hand unwinds/If you're lost you can look and you will find me/Time after time/If you fall, I will catch you, I'll be waiting/Time after time'. 65 Wedding Cake Cutting.
Catholic wedding songs function much the same way as other weddings songs, but with the additional requirement that they be a prayerful part of the liturgy. Your ceremony will be part of a full Catholic wedding mass, so you don’t want to break up the worship service with anything inappropriate. Talk with the parish music minister about songs for these wedding moments:
- Wedding processional, uplifting mood: You and your attendants file into the sanctuary behind the priest or wedding officiant.
- Pre-homily, more somber mood: Gospels are typically sung before the sermon and the wedding vows, so this song should be more explicitly about your faith.
- Pre-communion, joyful mood: After the Lord’s prayer, but before the Eucharist is served is an opportunity for a more upbeat song.
- Wedding recessional, celebratory mood: As you and your attendants leave the sanctuary, celebrate the end of mass with an uptempo song.
What are the requirements for Catholic wedding songs?
Before scouring the Internet for the perfect processional song, remember that whatever song or arrangement you’ll select will need to be within the range of the church musicians. We recommend working really closely with the music minister at your wedding venue to ensure they are game for potentially learning new music or arrangements to personalize your ceremony.
Additionally, your Catholic wedding songs will need to meet these requirements:
- Prayerful. While your wedding music can definitely celebrate your love, you will need to make sure it is also related to your faith as well.
- Ability to sing along. Since your wedding ceremony is a worship service, everyone in attendance needs to be able to sing along and participate in the prayers of the music.
- Beautiful. This is subjective, of course, but the Church calls for Catholic worship music to be true art and suited to the liturgical occasion.
Malankara Catholic Church
What Catholic wedding songs am I allowed to use?
That being said, lots of classic Catholic wedding songs are wonderful and suitable additions to any wedding moments. Give these a listen, and see what you think:
I Hear My Love
A downtempo ballad about the love of Jesus Christ works perfectly for processionals or pre-homily songs.
You Are Mine (Instrumental)
A heartfelt instrumental is ideal for processionals or recessionals at Catholic weddings.
O Perfect Love
This soothing hymn is a gorgeous Catholic wedding song for pre-homily or pre-communion music.
Hallowed by Jennifer Knapp
A modern arrangement of The Lord’s Prayer is the perfect pre-communion song.
Bless the Broken Road
Malankara Catholic Wedding Songs Lyrics Praise And Worship
A Christian wedding favorite, this sweet and prayerful love song was made even more famous by a popular YouTube couple’s wedding. It’s perfect for a wedding recessional.
Hunting for some inspiration for your wedding vows, a love letter or a wedding speech? Look no further than love song lyrics by your favourite singers and songwriters. While it may be tempting to plagiarize their work word for word, do yourself - and your soon-to-be spouse - a solid and put your own spin on their love song lyrics. Sure, Ed Sheeran may be an amazing wordsmith, but you know your S.O. so much better.
Here are 25 adorable love song lyrics to inspire your wedding vows that’ll make you swoon.
- “I am thinking it’s a sign / That the freckles in our eyes / Are mirror images / And when we kiss they’re perfectly aligned” - “Such Great Heights” by The Postal Service
- “‘How I know your face / All the ways you move / You come in / I can read you / You’re my favourite book” - “My Favourite Book” by Stars
- “If you’ll be my star / I’ll be your sky / You can hide underneath me and come out at night / When I turn jet black / And you show off your light / I live to let you shine” - “Boats and Birds” by Gregory and the Hawk
- “So when our eyes have seen their better days / And our hearing starts to fade / Put your arms ‘round my neck, and your heart on my chest / “I love you” will still sound the same” - “I Love You Will Still Sound the Same” by Oh Honey
- “Just like a star across my sky / Just like an angel off the page / You have appeared to my life / Feel like I’ll never be the same” - “Just Like a Star” by Corinne Bailey Rae
- “I won’t give up on us / Even if the skies get rough / I’m giving you all my love / I’m still looking up” - “I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz
- “‘Cause I love you more than I could ever promise / And you take me the way I am” - “The Way I am” by Ingrid Michaelson
- “And it’s you and me and all of the people / And I don’t know why / I can’t keep my eyes off of you” - “You and Me” by Lifehouse
- “Something in the way she moves / Attracts me like no other lover / Something in the way she woos me / I don’t want to leave her now / You know I believe and how” - “Something” by The Beatles
- “I hope you don’t mind that I put down in words / How wonderful life is while you’re in the world” - “Your Song” by Elton John
- “Take my hand / Take my whole life, too / For I can’t help falling in love with you” - “Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis Presley
- “You smiled, you smiled oh and then the spell was cast / And here we are in heaven / for you are mine at last” - “At Last” by Etta James
- “Your touch is sunlight through the trees / Your kisses are the ocean breeze / Everything’s alright when you’re with me” - “Better Place” by Rachel Platten
- “Well, me - I fall in love with you every single day / And I just wanna tell you I am” - “Thinking Out Loud” - Ed Sheeran
- “You’ve never loved your stomach or your thighs / The dimples in your back at the bottom of your spine / But I’ll love them endlessly” - “Little Things” by One Direction
- “‘Cause all of me / Loves all of you / Love your curves and all your edges / All your perfect imperfections” - “All of Me” by John Legend
- “Everywhere I’m looking now / I’m surrounded by your embrace / Baby, I can see your halo / You know you’re my saving grace” - “Halo” by Beyoncé
- “You made a rebel of a careless man’s careful daughter / You are the best thing that’s ever been mine” - “Mine” by Taylor Swift
- “I have died everyday waiting for you / Darling, don’t be afraid / I have loved you for a thousand years / I’ll love you for a thousand more” - “A Thousand Years” by Christina Perri
- “I could spend my life in this sweet surrender / And just stay here lost in this moment forever / Well, every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure” - “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” by Aerosmith
- “If I never get to see the Northern Lights / or if I never get to see the Eiffel Tower at night / Oh, if all I got is your hand in my hand / Baby, I could die a happy man” - “Die A Happy Man” by Thomas Rhett
- “Until our song is over / ‘Til the stars all fade to black / I’m gonna love you / To the ends of the earth / To the moon and back” - “To the Moon and Back” by Luke Bryan
- “‘Cause I’m not easy to understand / But you know me like the back of your hand / I’m your girl and you’re my man / And we’re makin’ plans” - “Makin’ Plans” by Miranda Lambert
- “Baby, if I had to choose / My best day ever / My finest hour, my wildest dream come true / Mine would be you” - “Mine Would Be You” by Blake Shelton
- “As good as you make me feel / I wanna make you feel better / Better than your fairy tales / Better than your best dreams / You’re more than everything I need” - “Wanted” by Hunter Hayes
Looking for more love song lyrics? Follow WeddingWire Canada on Spotify for all our favourite wedding love songs.